Saturday, November 6, 2010

Wedding Cake Madness

no this was not my first wedding cake - but this was my first FORMAL wedding cake, feeding more than 30 people, and more than two tiers, AND with sugar flowers!!!

S&J were getting married (well duh!) on 18th Sept, and had asked me to do a simple cake for the luncheon they were holding post the wedding ceremony. I ended up doing other decorative bits at their wedding - go to my other blog - www.letsbemarry.blogspot.com to see the florals.

Ok, so the cake. It had to be a plain cake, and one that would appeal to 'the masses'. AND covered in fondant with sugar flowers! why the exclamation? well generally a butter cake is not terribly dense and to withstand the weight of three tiers, WITH fondant - WHOA now thats a challenge...

I was told to cater for about 100 people, though I don't think the crowd ended up being that large - but then again you can NEVER have too much cake right :)

So, I made a butter orange cake with a little almond meal to make the cake a little more dense than normal, and drizzled mild orange liquor mix to make it a rather compact cake. Usually once you do this, and it is wrapped with those layers of fondant and marzipan, when you cut into the cake you will have a moist orangey wonder ;)

I kept the base of the cake white, and made the sugar flowers in hues of red and pink, complete with leaves etc... This was the first time i was trying a different style of flowers, fresh from my UK courses of colouring the flowers - at the request of the bride we styled the table with red rose petals.

Making this cake has really made me catch the bug - I wanna do mooooore!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment